Targeting the “Right Potentials” (the best among the fittest) employer branding places a focus on the development of an employer brand with the view to arouse enthusiasm for an employer.
Questions for employer competitiveness:
WHO am I? (identity)
HOW am I? (singularity)
WHAT have I to offer? (benefits for employees)
HOW do I appear? (corporate culture, personnel culture)
The various measures for building up an employer-brand:
- Positive media image (sponsoring and university cooperation, …)
- Image measures (employees as ambassadors of the employer brand, …)
- Employees as a central part of the corporate philosophy (strategic human resource marketing)
- Press work and public relations (development of HR-quintessences such as “we focus on talents!”)
- attractive career-website (HRfitting internet presence)
- clear profile in online job market (analysis of the job candidate’s expectation, …)
- cooperations with universities (scholarships, mentorship, supervision of graduands, …)
- Matching corporate brand and employer brand (corporate brand: e.g. knowledge leadership / employer brand: e.g. focus on talents)
additionally employer ranking, presence at carrer fairs, flyer for job candidates and recruiting-events
10 steps to be the “employer of choice”:
- Devise the employer brand form the corporate brand
- Assure rear cover from the top management
- Link HR-activities with marketing measures
- Analyse the target group and benchmarke with competitors
- Align HR-ideal with the reality
- Define a clear, unique employer profile
- Develop an integrated HR-strategy
- Communicate the goals and values both inward and outward
- Define critical success factors and quantify your success
- Establish authenticity
It even works without great strategies and consepts.
A lot of medium-sized companies, partial market leaders in their segments, celebrate HR-success without great publicity. Prof. Hermann Simon, owner of the managament consultancy ‘Simon-Kucher & Partners’ until 2009, author and columnist of the ‘Manager Magazin’ calls them the “hidden champions”. Their Credo:
High loyalty leads to long careers – recruit executives from your own ranks, be loyal as much as possible to your own employees!
Slight fluctuation supersedes knowledge-management – conserve your company’s know-how by keeping hold of your employees with their knowledge!
Challenges avoid dismissals – keep your staffing level small (“more work than heads”) and care for enough challenging work tasks!
A lot of work avoid internal conflicts - let your employees release their energy into work, not in strenuous side shows!
Effectiveness on the job takes place in the team – give your teams the largest competence possible, even the competence to decide, who is a part of them!
Provincial locations brings forward homeland attachment – relocating to the country side will promote your employee’s sense of home!